Something I love about winter is a good home cooked meal, in summer I always want to be extra healthy living of light dinners featuring lots of leaves. In winter, however, it’s so good to sit in a big jumper with slippers on enjoying a proper home cooked dinner. One of my favourites is shepherds pie, I wanted to stick a twist on the classic so used sweet potato as the mash instead of regular potato and it worked out very well.
£1.18 40 mins Serves 2
All you need is
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 10g grated cheddar cheese
- 100g frozen mixed vegetables
- 250g mince
- 10ml skimmed milk
- 50ml gravy
To make it just
- In a saucepan boil water, chop up the sweet potato and once the water is boiled leave to cook and soften.
- In a frying pan fry of the mince meat, once it begins to brown add the frozen vegetables, boiling water and gravy and mix well then leave on a low heat to simmer.
- After about 20 minutes the potatoes should have softened enough to be mashed, using a fork prod them and if soft drain then before mashing them down. Mix in some milk and a little bit of butter if you like to make the mash creamier.
- In a casserole dish place the mince, vegetables and gravy before topping with mash and then sprinkling grated cheese over the top.
- Place under the grill for a further 5 minutes to allow the top to go crisp then enjoy.
Where to buy